January 7, 2024 - Matthew 2:1-12

 The Journey of the Magi: A Symbol of Our Spiritual Quest

This Sunday I'll be preaching on the familiar story of the Magi from Matthew 2:1-12. However, my message will explore some new dimensions around their long, arduous journey seeking Jesus.

I'm going to look at how the Magi can become a metaphor for our own spiritual quests in life. We all hunger for deeper meaning and connection with God. This often requires effort and overcoming struggles along the way. Just as the star led the Magi through unknown lands to Jesus, God provides us guiding lights to keep pursuing him.

My sermon will highlight three main ideas: the diligence required in seeking God, attending to God's guidance through "stars" of insight, and offering our gifts fully once we draw close to Jesus. The Magi never gave up through their difficult travels. They followed the star closely to reach their destination. And upon arriving, they laid down their most valuable possessions in worship of Christ.

As you read and reflect on this passage, here are some questions to ponder:

  •         How can I seek God more earnestly in my spiritual journey right now?
  •         What guidance from God do I need to pay closer attention to?
  •         What "gifts" can I offer Christ with my abilities and resources?

I look forward to exploring the inspiring lesson of the Magi together! Please come Sunday ready to join these wise seekers in pursuing Jesus anew.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 10, 2023 - Luke 2:4-5

JUly 4, 2023 - Happy In-Dependence Day

May 28, 2023 - Acts 2:1-21